Room with Sun (Shade) Screens
Architectural Window Film vs Sun (Shade) Screens
Surprisingly many people in Arizona do not know that they can apply window film inside their homes. Most associate window film with their cars. If it works in your car, it WILL work in your home.
Any reputable window film company will NOT sell you automotive film for your home. Manufacturer’s do not warrant this option because auto films are for vehicles and architectural film is for residents and commercial buildings.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUN SCREENS AND WINDOW FILM!
Worried about fading of your furniture, drapes, artwork or any other interior items?
As you will see from the pictures
- Sun Screens will limit the clarity of your views.
- Window Film (LLumar and Vista brands) have an adhesive that bonds to your glass creating a long-lasting clarity that does not hinder your view ever.
How easy are the two products to clean?
- Sun Screens can be cleaned when (or if) you remove them for the winter. They take time to clean, or you can hire someone to do it for you.
- Window Film (LLumar and Vista) can be cleaned like you normally clean any window in your home. No special product to use and no added cleaning time to your schedule.
Heat, Glare, and Fade Rejection
- Depending on the type of screen you purchase, the screens can block 80-90% of the sun’s hot rays. The UV protection is between 70-90%, depending on what type of screen you purchase.
- Window films cut anywhere from 55%-85% of the total solar energy.
- Window films cut between 99-99.9% UV rays regardless of the type of film your purchase (The Skin Cancer Foundation supports window films for your home and car)
- Depending on the type of film used, you can reduce glare from 22%-90%.
- From my research I couldn’t find an exact answer, but I did find that sun screens can last between 7-15 years depending on the quality.
- Window films will last as long as your glass is functional. What does this mean? The films we work with (LLumar and Vista) can last 20-30 years; however, if for some reason they start to discolor or peel (which should never happened with our films if installed by a professional installer), your warranty will cover you for all costs.
- Warranties for Sun Screens are good for 5- 10 years depending on the manufacturer.
- I found this information from a reputable sun screen manufacturer (this is their warranty)…the bold parts are important!
(Name of company)
EXTERIOR SUN CONTROL PRODUCTS
Extended Limited Warranty
What is Covered?
This warranty covers all name of company SunScreen®, Solar Insect Screening, SunTex® and Super Solar Screening when properly handled and installed for normal use as exterior fixed screening. SunTex is also covered by this warranty for use in retractable roller systems. name of company guarantees that, when delivered to our customer, name of company Sun Control Products will meet or exceed all of our specifications with regard to mesh configuration, dimension, strength and color. name of company further guarantees that name of company Sun Control Products will not become nonfunctional because of changes in physical properties due to exposure to normal atmospheric conditions. This warranty does not cover damage to screen from any source nor does it cover gradual fading. Any defects found with regard to mesh configuration, dimension, strength or color, that exist at the time of initial delivery, must be reported to name of company within a reasonable period of time and before fabrication or installation of the material. Only full or partial rolls of name of company Sun Control Products may be returned to name of company for replacement under this warranty except as provided in the following paragraph. The name of company Sun Control Products mentioned above are covered by this warranty if the fabric becomes nonfunctional due to changes in physical properties. If the fabricated screen appears to be defective, it must be returned to name of company without hardware or attachments to be inspected.
How Long Is The Coverage Period?
The warranty against changes in physical properties is valid for a period of ten (10) years.
What Will name of company Do?
Any name of company Sun Control Product found to be defective will be replaced, free of charge, with an equal quantity of name of company Sun Control fabric.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE COST OF LABOR OR OTHER
CONSEQUENTIAL EXPENSES RELATED TO REMOVAL, RETURN OR
REINSTALLATION OF name of company SUN CONTROL PRODUCTS.
THIS IS THE COMPLETE AND ONLY WARRANTY PROVIDED FOR name of company
SUN CONTROL PRODUCTS. THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS
OR IMPLIED, FOR THIS PRODUCT.
- LLumar’s warranty includes a lifetime residential warranty against bubbling, peeling, discoloration, fading, and crazing. Warranty includes ALL material, labor, and installation — NO OUT OF POCKET CHARGE TO THE CONSUMER!
- Vista‘s warranty includes the same as LLumar‘s however this warranty is transferable to the next homeowner.
- Neither LLumar or Vista products have had an adhesive failure for over 30 years (when this product came to the market).
- Great question. I have had customers tell us we are more expensive, less expensive, and/or equal to sun screens. As with any product, the better the quality of the product, the more it will cost.
- Our products run between $5-$15/sq ft (Depends on type of product purchased)
How do you decide?
Our job is to educate you on the differences between the products, but ultimately it is your decision. Which view do you prefer? Is UV protection important to you? If you choose a product based on your preference and priorities, you should never be disappointed in your choice.
Window Films have been tested by the National Fenestration Rating Council – Sun (Shade) Screens have not!
The NFRC Label
The NFRC energy performance label can help you determine how well a product will perform the functions of helping to cool your building in the summer, warm your building in the winter, keep out wind, and resist condensation. For more information on the values found on NFRC labels, visit www.WindowRatings.org